Sunday, December 4, 2011

Music

Before I have a title or an ending or even a name for my main character I begin with the mood. It kinda hits me out of nowhere, almost like I'm right there in the scene. I live with this feeling for a period of time, listening to music and brainstorming the story, until it all comes together.

For Mystique I needed something dark. I wanted the music to evoke a feeling of winter and dead trees and loneliness but there also had to be a touch of hope thrown in.

So. Here's what I found:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Jónsi - Go
Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
Cloud Cult - Light Chasers

Go check them out.










Shari Arnold is the author of MYSTIQUE coming Fall 2012 from Chronicle Books. Check out her blog or follow her on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. I love Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago album. Perfect song/album to evoke a feeling of winter and dead trees and loneliness, since he recorded it in a cabin, in the woods, alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a note of your song selections and am heading over to Youtube ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petra- Exactly! =)

    Elaine- I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete