Sunday, September 11, 2011

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

I have to admit I like kissing scenes. I like writing them and I like reading them.
So if you ask me what scene from Mystique is my favorite I'm going to tell you it's the one where, well, you know.

The other day I was having this amazing conversation with my editor (I'm fully immersed in round two of edits) when she said, "What if...?" and my mind floated off to that place where I make stuff up.

And you'll never guess what we talked about. Another kissing scene!

So that's why my favorite scene is a scene I haven't finished writing yet. I've played it out in my head a few times and thrown a couple ideas down on the page but when it comes time to write the scene out I know it will morph into something altogether different.
Because romance is spontaneous, not planned.
At least that's how I like it.

I love a good action scene and I LOVE to get all stressed out, wondering what's going to happen next, but I thoroughly enjoy that moment when the two main characters finally come together and realize that what they're feeling is far more powerful than:

1. The end of the world
2. Their loyalty to a best friend
3. The scary things that go bump in the night
4.The pain and heartache that threatens to tear them apart.
5. All of the above

Now I know I shouldn't admit to this considering I write Sci-Fi but I'm not a big Star Wars fan.
When my friends were all blah-blah-blah-Luke-Skywalker I was totally bored until Han Solo started making eyes at Princess Leia.

See. Sci-Fi has something for everyone.

And kissing definitely makes things more interesting.

Even movies with lightsabers and droids.









Shari Arnold is the author of MYSTIQUE coming Fall 2012 from Chronicle Books. Check out her blog or follow her on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I love kissing scenes too!!

    *happysigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I loved the relationship between Leia and Han. Great post!

    ReplyDelete