Friday, July 22, 2011

VERONICA’S VILLAIN AWARDS



I was going to write about villains, but Jodi, Lenore and Emily covered much of what I had planned to say (and said it better.)
Instead, allow me recognize favorite villains in film and literature. Sometimes it's just so good to be bad.
So without further ado...

Most Reluctant Villian Award: Ender of Orson Scott Card’s ENDER’S GAME. (Wait… Is he a villain? No, he’s a hero! But he’s a kid! But he does terrible things! But he has to! I’m confused.)
Here a Villain, There a Villain Award: For sheer volume and awesomeness, the award goes to George RR Martin for making every character a villain at one point or another. (I love you, George! I did years before the HBO series!)
Most Lovable Cannibalistic Serial Killer Award: Hannibal Lecter ("Remarkable boy. I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart.") (Isn’t that adorable?)
Most Zen Villain Award: Darth Vader ("I've been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master.") (Ommmmm.)
Best Smile Award: Jaws
Best Evil Cook Award: Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction, played by Glenn Close (Poor, poor bunny)
Freakiest, scariest, scariest omgcan’teventalkVillain Award: Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men (Even the hair was too much.)
Most Dastardly Line Award: Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?” (Joker, Batman)
Best Villainess Award: Three-way tie between Belatrix Lestrange (HARRY POTTER Series), Mrs. Coulter (HIS DARK MATERIALS), and Ann Wilkes in MISERY
Best Family of Villains Award: The Corleons, The Godfather ("Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" = pure badassery)
Best (Evil) Looking Award: Davy Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean; Dead Man’s Chest (Can't stop watching the tentacles. Amazing. How did they do that?)
Best Villain EVER Award: Well? Cast your vote in the comments below!

6 comments:

  1. Looooove this post, V. Best Smile Award INDEED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious & fun list, Veronica! Hannibal Lecter has always been my favorite villain. Whenever you're rooting for the bad guy to get away with it, the writers/actors/directors have pulled off a magic trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jodi and Eve. Yes, Hannibal is pretty much an icon as far as villains go. I bet he makes almost everyone's top ten list : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica - love this post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, awesome post, V! I put my vote in for Keifer Sutherland in FREEWAY. Freaking disgusting psychotic wacko...and then Reese Witherspoon goes and actually makes you feel bad for him. For a moment. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen- thanks! And Emily - I HAVE NOT seen that! RENTING! So excited. Will call you in the middle of the night if I have nightmares, k?

    ReplyDelete