Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday Reads!

Find out what we're reading!


Jodi Meadows:
This week I read SWEET VENOM by Tera Lynn Childs, an exciting book about triplet sisters who are descendants of Medusa and her gorgon sisters. Before you freak out about snake-headed heroines -- they aren't. Medusa and co. were maligned in myth. In present time, Grace, Gretchen, and Greer are long-lost triplets and must reunite to fight ancient Greek monsters.






Elizabeth Norris:
I'm reading DREAMQUAKE by Elizabeth Knox which is the amazing follow up (and conclusion) to DREAMHUNTER. I don't want to give anything away, but it's fabulous. I've been turning pages as fast as I can from page one.













Kristen Simmons:




I just started FIRE by Kristin Cashore. I'm only a little ways in, but I can tell you, just like with Graceling I'm already finding myself sucked into her world. Love it!







Jennifer Bosworth:
For all of you out there who've read any or all of Steig Larsson's
"Dragon Tattoo" books and found them as tedious and overwritten as I
did, but aren't ready to give up on Scandinavian mysteries just yet,
try Jo Nesbo's detective series instead. I'm reading the 7th book, THE
SNOWMAN
, in which Detective Harry Hole (yeah, I know, Harry Hole is
probably the worst name in all of history, but the author is
Norwegian, so I'm giving him a pass) hunts a serial killer who leaves
behind a snowman at his kill sites. Brrrr! Chills!

It only took me a few paragraphs to determine that Nesbo is ten times
the writer Steig (may his soul rest in peace) was, and I'm not just
saying that because I'm half Norwegian. THE SNOWMAN is dark and clever
and sharply written. The dialogue is snappy and quick-witted, unlike
the dry as burnt toast dialogue you'll get in "Dragon Tattoo." In
closing . . . NORWEGIAN PRIDE!



Heather Anastasiu:

I'm reading an arc of Scott Westerfeld's GOLIATH. I have LOVED this imaginative steampunk series from the master of ya sci-fi. His worldbuilding is so phenomenal, plus the perfectly paced action and emotional development. Squee, I'm getting chills just thinking about how much I love everything he's written. Can't wait to see how this series ends!!








Lenore Appelhans:

I just finished Nancy Farmer's THE HOUSE OF THE SCORPION where a boy grows up as a clone. He is hated and feared by all except his original - a 140 year old drug lord - and a few others. It won a bunch of awards and honors, and I can totally see why. Farmer is a master of world building and parceling out details without the dreaded info dump. An exciting and impressive read!






Debra Driza:
I just finished reading an ARC of LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR. So,
it's not exactly sci-fi or thriller (unless you count the romantic
kind of thrills---if so, there are thrills by the dozen!) but it IS
full of awesome.

I have to say, this book is the PERFECT palate cleanser after reading
a grim dystopian, scary thriller, or gritty contemporary. I love those
just as much as the next person (hey, I write them!) but sometimes,
you need a little break from all that darkness. And Steph Perkins
definitely delivers once again.

This book will make even the most hardened cynic positively ACHE for
Lola and Cricket (yes, the LI is named Cricket!) to get together. In
fact, if I could have jumped into the pages, I would have shoved Lola
right into his lap much sooner. And then spent some time sighing over
a certain guest star's accent.

Ahem. Anyway, if you loved ANNA, then definitely grab a copy of LOLA
when you get a chance.


Veronica Rossi:




I'm reading DOWNSIDERS by Neal Shusterman again. I'm a huge fan. His stories keep calling me back after I've read them. Shusterman has a fantastic 3rd person voice, which I find rich and refreshing after reading lots and lots of first person.











Emily Hainsworth:


Appropriately enough, I just finished BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley. I knew it was a classic going in, but based on its content, I wanted to place it in the 1960s or 1970s...it was written in 1931! Totally mind-blowing considering the time it was written. I think every dystopia stems from this book in one way or another, but I noticed particular similarities with Scott Westerfeld's UGLIES series. Truly makes you take an uncomfortable look at social norms. It was a little dry to start, but ultimately quite thought-provoking.


Susanne Winnacker:
I just started reading DIE FOR ME by Amy Plum. I haven’t picked up many paranormal romance books in the last few months but I was intrigued about the Revenants in DIE FOR ME. And a book set in
Paris? Yes, please. It’s been a few years since I was there, so I love how the author’s descriptions of the city bring many memories back.



So what are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, such fun books! I loved both FIRE (what a fantastic heroine!) and LOLA & THE BOY NEXT DOOR (so charming)! And I can't wait for GOLIATH (just downloaded thanks to GalleyGrab) and SWEET VENOM.

    ReplyDelete