Sunday, March 4, 2012

On Book Trailers

I was thinking a lot about book trailers recently. A lot of books that come out have them now, and this is a relatively new thing--I can't remember any books having trailers back when I was a teenager. And there's a range of trailers. Some are more simple--text and pictures with music, and then some are much more sophisticated with actors and everything else. So after researching trailers a little, I came up with a list of my favorites.

Best quality goes to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's practically a movie trailer and it's definitely got the creepy vibe going for it.

The trailer for Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne gave me chills at the end.

The Fault in Our Stars and The Disenchantments are both short and intriguing, and they feel a little like trailers for an indie teen movie or music video.

And of course Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall is one I simply love. The characters, the voice over, the way it's shot, everything reflects the tone of the book.

What trailers did I miss? What are some of your favorites?

So the reason for all this book trailer thoughts? Several weeks ago I got to weigh in on the script and casting for my own book trailer for Unraveling. And TOMORROW, will be the release! More news to come soon.

***

Liz Norris briefly taught high school English and history before trading the southern California beaches and sunshine for Manhattan's recent snowpocalyptic winter. She harbors dangerous addictions to guacamole, red velvet cupcakes, sushi, and Argo Tea, fortunately not all together. Her first novel, UNRAVELING (Balzer+Bray April 2012), is the story of one girl’s fight to save her family, her world, and the one boy she never saw coming.

11 comments:

  1. I love book trailers. Some people hate them but I think they're fantastic tools to reel people in. I can't think of all my favourites off the top of my head but I really like the one for 'Leviathan' by Scott Westerfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm not sure if I've seen that one. I'm going to have to Youtube it right now.

    I agree with you. I think they're fantastic tools. I do think some of them work better than others though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the ones you picked are awesome! I love Maggie Stiefvater's trailers too, they're so beautiful and artistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't way to see your trailer, Liz! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I can't WAIT to see the UNRAVELING trailer! :D

    I think one of my favorite trailers is the one for Erin Bow's PLAIN KATE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tEPKqY7Ow

    So lovely and ominous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this post! came here via veronica rossi's blog. here's a good trailer to a good book I read recently:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazFwblKfkI

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the trailer for STARTERS by Lissa Price. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Shatter Me book trailer, but most of the time I feel like they don't really match with the book's content..

    ReplyDelete
  9. How To Get The Perfect Job

    It is not difficult to play bazaar understand the reason. It can be very hard to go to a lot of places and see if anyone satta king is hiring at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog, if you wanted to earn money online so check this website.
    play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete
  11. A job sometimes defines a lot to people everywhere.You spend about 40 hours a great deal of time at work each week. It is not uncommon for someone to spend most of their waking hours at their job.play bazaar This is why you must look for a job all the more serious. Use the advice here to guide you.satta king

    ReplyDelete