Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Reads

Welcome to another edition of Friday Reads!
Find out what we love about the books we're reading:


Lenore Appelhans:


Right now I'm reading POSSESSION by Elana Johnson and it's really making me wish I had a teleporter! The worldbuilding is enriched by a lot of fun descriptions of future tech and mind control. The main character, Vi, seems to have a special relationship with tech (her father invented a lot of it) so I can't wait to find out what that is.



Jay Kristoff:


I'm reading HOUNDED, the first part of The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Thoroughly enjoying it. Wall to wall action, non-stop pace and some genuinely hilarious moments that had me LOLing (tell no-one, it will ruin my tall, dark and angry facade).



Jennifer Bosworth:


My husband calls me a robot racist, and the book I'm reading right now, ROBOCALYPSE, by Daniel H. Wilson, is doing nothing to dissuade my opinion that one day robots will turn on us and try to destroy us.
Pretty good book about bad, bad robots.



Emily Hainsworth:


This week I read CRANK by Ellen Hopkins. With all of the controversy lately over "darkness" in YA literature, I thought I'd get right to the heart of the matter. This book is raw, but thoughtful and lyrically written. I've never tried methamphetamines, and I can honestly say after reading this book I have ZERO desire to change that. CRANK came across as an honest portrayal of the paths some people are drawn down, and the unraveling consequences that can result from a few small choices. Recommend!



Elizabeth Norris:


I'm reading DREAMHUNTER by Elizabeth Knox. I picked this one up because a good friend recommended it to me. It's about two teenage girls, Laura and Rose, who are the daughters of skilled Dreamhunters--people who can catch dreams and share them to audiences. Both girls are now old enough to see if they qualify to be
Dreamhunters, but when Laura's father disappears, they set out to solve that mystery and find a lot more than they were expecting. I love that it's an alternate history, a political thriller, and a fantasy. The writing is beautiful, the worldbuilding is masterful, and the pace is page turning.



Jodi Meadows:


I just finished reading Rae Carson's THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS and oooooh wow, I have so many great things to say about it. This is a secondworld fantasy of epic awesomeness. There's lots of adventure, a little romance, and enough talk about pastries to make your stomach growl.



Have you read any of the books above? What are you reading right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment