Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Reads

A new edition of Friday Reads!
Here's what we're reading:


Kristen Simmons:


Finally! I'm reading Divergent! And let me just say that all the hype about this book is right on. It's pretty much rocking my world. There's a hundred things I love about it, but right now I'm marveling at how Veronica Roth has covered all these deep, moral issues in a fast-paced, romantic thriller. It's got everything I want in a story: guns and punching and mind-control and betrayal and kissing and sexy talk and zip lines and tattoos and jumping out of trains. It's brilliant.



Heather Anastasiu:


And now for something completely different, I'm reading (or well, who are we kidding, I'm *starting*) ANNA KARENINA by Tolstoy. I felt the need for a palate cleanser from all my other reading (and my own writing), so this will be my Before Bed book for awhile ;)



Veronica Rossi:


Like Heather, I'm reading a palate cleanser as well. NYT bestseller MATTERHORN by Karl Marlantes, a novel of the Vietnam War. Took the author 30+ years to write. It's visceral, intense, and thoroughly impressive. Not for faint of heart, though.



Jennifer Bosworth:


For all you fans of post-apocalyptic fiction, BLOOD RED ROAD is a book you'll definitely want to check out. It actually bears some similarities to THE ROAD, by Cormac McCarthy––the barren wasteland of a world; the sparse writing style––but it's nowhere near as bleak, and the heroine kicks quite a bit of ass. It's an admirable feat to make the end of the world fun, but the author, Moira Young, makes it look
easy.



Lenore Appelhans:


I am reading a bunch of dystopian books in preparation for my August theme month on my blog. At the moment, I am nearly done with Mary E. Pearson's THE FOX INHERITANCE and I love it. It's very cerebral, thought-provoking and exciting. And it gives us another look at Jenna Fox who I absolutely adored in THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX.



Elizabeth Norris:


I'm reading HOURGLASS by Myra McEntire. I picked it up because the cover is absolutely entrancing, and I've heard the story is just as good. It's a YA novel about a girl who sees strange apparitions from the past, including dead people and the mysterious organization, The Hourglass, that her brother has hired to help her get rid of the visions. I've only just started but I love the voice!


1 comment:

  1. IF YOU HAVEN'T READ DIVERGENT, YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ THIS COMMENT!

    Hey Kristen, I finally read Divergent this week too! Loved it. The first 400 hundred pages just rocked by, I couldn't put it down. But I came to a barrier... the final simulation test. She manipulated it, right? She put the gun in the wardrobe and turned the glass to ice. Why didn't the Dauntless instructors realize she was Divergent? When she broke the glass in the simulation with Four, he knew straight away and wiped the tests. As the Dauntless leaders were searching for Divergents, surely they would have noticed what she'd done. I feel a bit in the dark. Like i missed something big. Any help?

    ReplyDelete